Ikuta Erika Commentary on Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Musical 2022

(originals : Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Musical 2022 Programme)


Ikuta Erika (cast for Miyazono Kaori)

Erika was born in Düsseldorf, Germany. While being active as a core member of Nogizaka46, she was also performing in plenty of musical stage plays. At the end of 2021, she graduated from Nogizaka46 after being in the group for 10 years. She continues to be active in various medias, such as becoming the MC for NHK TV station music program 「Venue101」 from this April (2022). Some of the notable works she performed in are 「Les Misérables」 (as Cosette in 2017 and 2019, and as Éponine in 2021), COCOON PRODUCTION 2021 「Shibuya de Aimashou」, 「Whistle Down The Wind ~ Kegarenaki Hitomi」, 「KIREI ~ Kami-sama to Machiawaseshita Onna", "Natasha, Pierre, and The Great Comet of 1812」, 「Romeo & Juliet」, 「Mozart!」, movie:「The Confidence Man JP: Episode of the Hero 」 among others. She got a Commendation Award for 「The 8th Iwatani Tokiko Awards」, and also won「The 44th Kikuta Kazuo Theatre Awards」.

What was your encounter with music that gave such an impact?
Back when I was 5 years old after moving in to a new home, I enrolled to a music school in the neighborhood not knowing what to expect, and was shocked to find how it was a very strict music school. It was tough since I had to practice piano for so many hours a day and even scored in practical examinations, not to mention about the peer pressure since the others were such great players too. But I think I can savor musics like how I am today because of those things. I'm glad to have continued training for 17 years.

What was the moment when you feel the world around you turned very colorful?
It was seeing how the whole venue is bathed in the colors of penlights, back when I was part of Nogizaka46. It was Colorful, like literally! The bright expressions and cheers from the fans got such energies that can blow away any worries I had in mind. Each occasion felt fresh and touching. I hope the memories from those precious days will continue to shine our way.

What was the most memorable thing to you within this one year?
It was year 2020. The very first State of Emergency, Stay Home period, and the multiple cancellation of performances..... There were pains I've experienced, yet also the comforts that were given to me. It really is a year that I will never forget.

(P.S.: In the programme, there is also an interview with Ikuchan and the two actors for Arima Kosei's role, but there are not many things that come out from Ikuchan, so I'll pass on translating that for now)


My Personal Notes & Commentary:
(Please be aware that some parts contain spoilers!)

I planned to go and watch this 「Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso」musical back in 2020 when it was originally scheduled. Back then I was still in the university, and it was like now or never since I had no guarantee yet to continue living in Japan after that, so it was such a shame that the play got cancelled due to the Covid-19 outbreak. That is why I was really happy to be able to actually watch it two years later, on the evening performance in May 10th 2022. Having tasted how a live musical is by watching the Curtains Musical 2022 just 2 months before it, my eyes and ears were still hungry for more musical content.

The play was originally scheduled to be held in Brillia Hall, Ikebukuro, back in 2020, which was pretty close to the place I was staying. However, the venue was changed to Nissay Theatre in 2022, which is pretty close to the place I'm currently staying (maybe it was fate...). The theatre is quite old (opened back in 1963), but seems like it is maintained quiet well. The interior and seating are styled like the European opera theatre. It was kind of surprising that there were no single bouquets or other forms of congratulatory stuff seen in the theatre, but perhaps they didn't allow it in the first place. That day, I went with two of my old friends who are fellow Sakamichi fans as wellWe got great seats, I would say.

(it wasn't me but my friend who took the pic, so technically I'm not at fault here 😅)

I believe 「Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso / Your Lie in April」is a pretty popular work that I assume most of you readers here know about the story. I have watched the anime version several years ago, probably back in 2016, and I still remember the key moments of the story. That made it easier to enjoy the songs more, because I already know what is going on without the need to process too much of what I listened.

On that day, the main casts were Ikuta Erika as Miyazono Kaori (obviously), Kimura Tatsunari as Arima Kosei, Teranishi Takuto as Watari Ryota, and Yudzuki Fuuka as Sawabe Tsubaki. The role for Arima Kosei and Watari Ryota are double cast, so the actors playing them will be different depending on the schedule (Koseki Yuta is the other actor for Kosei, and Kouki Mizuta is the other actor for Watari). It is quite an unusual situation, where the main character of the story (Arima Kosei) is double cast, while the leading heroine isn't.

Of course, I didn't know anyone but Ikuchan, so it was quite a fresh feeling to see how the other cast members performed. Everyone did not just sings well, but was also singing in full voice and with emotion. Kimura is apparently quite a veteran in theatre act, having credited in more works than Ikuchan, including 「Romeo and Juliet 2019」. He knows the technique to  express different emotions while singing, which is nice since it adds depth to his performance. Teranishi got a strong vocal power and good pitch control, though he didn't really get to show much of his vocal prowess given the nature of the songs he performed, which were all with uplifting tunes. Yudzuki was the biggest surprise for me. The color of her voice got that anisong artist vibe, but I think she might be adjusting that way to fit with the original material. She is also quite a veteran, and was performing in 「Les Misérables」back in 2017 & 2019 with Ikuchan, which made me believe that she should be able to sing with a more opera / classical techniques.


Okay, now for Ikuchan herself, I guess we already know how great her vocal is. But to me, the most captivating part from her performance is her portrayal of Kaori. I don't remember exactly how Kaori behaves in the anime, but there are many expressions and small gestures here and there that Ikuchan made which can really made you recall the Kaori in the anime. She must have been studying the source material a lot, given how she embodied the character really well. But that being said, at least for me, there are moments where the true character of Ikuta Erika herself were shown, which also added originality to the portrayal of Kaori in this adaptation. I kind of felt it especially when she was making mischievous or meme-ish expressions, which really reminded me of her in Nogizaka46 shows.

As you may know, in the story Kosei is a pianist and Kaori is a violinist, both playing classical musics. Now, the actors and actresses are not necessarily able to play the instruments, so they acted it out while having the actual music playing in the background. For the pianists, they managed to hide the fact that it was fake most of the time, by setting the piano in such angle that the pianist's hands are hidden from view. However, there is no way to hide the hands when playing the violin. So, Ikuchan was also acting it out, but what's great is that she was really trained about the bowing, fingering, and gestures, that it looked real enough. What gave the fact that it was fake is when the violin was played with vibrato, and you realized that Ikuchan's left wrist is not moving at all. However, they were smart to make the classical music performance scenes short, and they all served like an interlude before the songs to be sung. This means, in several scenes Ikuchan sang while making all the gestures of playing violin, which I believe should make it more difficult for her breathing (she was moving her entire body and sometimes even the stomach contracts).


One common aspect that I love in musicals is the use of Reprise, in which a same song can be performed with different arrangements and lyrics that can completely change the atmosphere of the song while still keeping a similar theme. It's like a feeling of finding something familiar yet fresh, and also shows the creative mind of the people behind the songs. One particular song during the show that captured me was 「Eiga Mitai ni (Eng. title: Just Like a Movie)」. The first version of the song is about Kosei admiring Kaori from afar, seeing her as someone he will never be able to reach. The reprise version is about Kaori's parents seeing how their beloved child is looking really alive when she's get to be with Kosei, who is actually the person that she has been admiring since her childhood. The way the parents sang it also added a tone of sadness to the song, given that they know about Kaori's condition.

The song 「Kimi ga Wakaranai (Eng. title: Who Put You in Charge Here)」was a duet for Kosei and Kaori, in which Kimura and Ikuchan performed it in a very cute way. It's not just the song, but their gestures and facial expressions were probably the most comical when performing that song (you know how comical Ikuchan can be :D). All the songs are great, and as I mentioned before, all the performers got really strong vocal techniques. If anything, the drawback is that the songs are sounding quite pop-ish, which means they might lack the punch or character, such that they are not really memorrable. However, given it is a "slice of life", not to mention about an everyday human life kind of story, I think it is the right decision to do. I believe it is also easier for people who are not really into musicals to enjoy them.


I really enjoyed watching the play. The two years of waiting turned out to be worthwhile. I'm sure the casts and the team behind the production were really giving their best in each performances. The wait for them is even longer than two years, considering that the planning for the show was started back in 2016. It was quite a surprise to know that the song composers, arrangers, and lyricists are all non-Japanese. There was Frank Wildhorn as the componist & lyricist, Tracy Miller and Carly Robyn Green as the lyricists, and Jason Howland as the arranger.

I would criticize the fact that there were really not much dialog in the entire play, especially in the first half. For the most part, the stories are being told through the songs, so we can have like 3 or 4 songs in succession. Such approach is actually quite common for musicals, even for well-known musicals like「Les Misérables」for example, however personally I think such approach kind of reducing the coherence of the story. Plus, it is harder to do a character building only through songs. I would say that having dialogs between songs also gives the viewers more time to rest their minds, so that they can feel the excitement once the next song is actually performed, and can value one and each songs more. But again, those are just how I would prefer it.

I also think that the climax was a bit wasted given that there were no scene involving Kosei and Kaori's parents at the very end, just like how it was in the anime/manga. Having watched the anime myself, I think that scene was really powerful and put the closing to both Kosei's and Kaori's character arc and their relationship (through people closest to Kaori, which were her parents). It's kind of a shame because that can really be a tearjerker moment even during the live stage play.

Also... did I mention that Ikuchan was getting a piggyback ride by Kimura in the play? Her gesture when asking for that without even speaking was really cute 💜 (although it was also kind of a sad scene). That was my biggest complaint! (JK 😅)


Before the curtain call, Ikuchan and Kimura went out to address the audience. Ikuchan was kind of sharing her thoughts about how she always tries to give her all in one and each performance for this play. The fact that it was delayed was also one of her motivation to push herself on each performance. She said something like "I might be performing this play almost everyday, but for you it is something that you can only enjoy at this very moment, so I want you to really enjoy it." After that, Kimura was like unable to add a better closing statement (perhaps somewhat jokingly), such that he just ended it by telling the audience to stay alert and taking care of their health 😅.

I ended up buying the programme and CD album which contains 11 songs from the play (there are actually more songs including the reprised versions). Though I think there is a high chance that the play will be aired on TV someday, the song collection might not be sold in other form, so I believe it was worth it. Finally I ended that day by taking photo in front of the only poster of the play, which was hung near the entrance. Taking a day off that day just to enjoy the play was worth it. I think I will still look up for more... 💸


(stills from the play are property of Toho Theatre Department)

Comments