Sotsugyou 2021 ver. (Saito Yuki) - Performed by Ikuta Erika

This song was originally sung by Saito Yuki (斉藤由貴) back in 1985, and was covered by Ikuta Erika in 2021 as a part of Tsutsumi Kyouhei's Song Book (Spotify album link). Tsutsumi Kyouhei himself is the composer of this song.

This song is sung from the perspective of a high-school girl who has a classmate boy that she likes, but she never told him so, and they are about to be separated after graduation.


卒業 (Graduation)

ああ~卒業式で泣かないと...
(Aa~ Sotsugyou shiki de nakanai to...)
冷たい人と言われそう (tsumetai hito to iwaresou)
でももっと哀しい瞬間に... (Demo motto kanashii shunkan ni...)
涙はとっておきたいの (namida wo totteokitai no)
Aa~ If I don't cry at the graduation ceremony, people might call me cold-hearted.
But even so, I want to save my tears for an even sadder moment.

制服の胸のボタンを... (Seifuku no mune no BOTAN wo...)
下級生たちにねだられ (kakyuusei-tachi ni nedarare)
頭かきながら逃げるのね (Atama kakinagara nigeru no ne)
本当は嬉しいくせして (Hontou wa ureshii kuse shite)
Having the juniors begging for the 2nd-button of your uniform,
You try to get away while scratching your head out of shyness, even though
I can see that it makes you happy.

うう~人気ない午後の教室で... (Uu~ Hitoge nai gogo no kyoushitsu de...)
机にイニシャル彫るあなた (tsukue ni INISHARU horu anata)
やめて 思い出を刻むのは ("Yamete", omoide wo kizamu no wa...)
心だけにしてとつぶやいた (kokoro dake ni shite to tsubuyaita)
Uu~ At noon, in an empty classroom, seeing you carving your initials on a table,
I muttered to myself "Let's not!" and just carving all the memories in my heart.

離れても電話するよと... ("Hanarete mo denwa suru yo!" to...)
小指差し出して言うけど (koyubi sashidashite iu kedo)
守れそうにない約束は... (Mamoresou ni nai yakusoku wa...)
しない方がいい, ごめんね (shinai hou ga ii, gomen ne)
You put out your pinky, saying "I'll call you even when we are apart".
But I'm sorry, I'd rather not making a promise that I couldn't keep.

うう~ セーラーの薄いスカーフで... (Uu~ SERA no usui SUKAFU de...)
止まった時間を結びたい (tomatta jikan wo musubitai)
だけど東京で変わってく... (Dakedo, Tokyo de kawatteku...)
あなたの未来は縛れない (anata no mirai wa shibarenai)
Uu~ I want to bind this moment with this thin scarf of the sailor suit.
However, I couldn't bind the change of your future out there in Tokyo.

ああ卒業式で泣かないと... (Aa~ Sotsugyou shiki de nakanai to...)
冷たい人と言われそう (tsumetai hito to iwaresou)
でももっと哀しい瞬間に... (Demo motto kanashii shunkan ni)
涙はとっておきたいの (namida wo totteokitai no)
Aa~ If I don't cry at the graduation ceremony, people might call me cold-hearted.
But even so, I want to save my tears for an even sadder moment.

席順は代わり,あなたの... (Sekijun wa kawari, anata no...)
隣の娘にさえ妬いたわ (tonari no ko ni sae yaita wa)
いたずらに髪をひっぱられ... (Itazura ni kami wo hipparare...)
怒ってる裏ではしゃいだ (okotteru ura de hashaida)
When the seating order got changed, I got jealous with the girl next to you.
Although I got angry at you when you mischievously pulled my hair, I was actually hiding my giddiness.

うう~駅までの遠い道のりを... (Uu~ Eki made no tooi michinori wo...)
はじめて黙って歩いたね (hajimete damatte aruita ne)
反対のホームに立つ二人... (Hantai no HOMU ni tatsu futari...)
時の電車がいま引き裂いた (toki no densha ga ima hikisaita)
Uu~ For the first time, we are walking on the long way to the station in silence.
The two of us standing on each opposing platform, torn apart by the train of time.

ああ 卒業しても友達ね... (Aa~ "Sotsugyou shite mo tomodachi ne")
それは嘘では無いけれど (sore wa uso de wa nai keredo)
でも過ぎる季節に流されて... (Demo sugiru kisetsu ni nagasarete...)
逢えないことも知っている (aenai koto mo shitteiru)
Aa~ Even after graduation, we're still friends!
Although that's not a lie, but with each passing of the seasons, I know that we might not meet again.

ああ卒業式で泣かないと... (Aa~ Sotsugyou shiki de nakanai to...)
冷たい人と言われそう (tsumetai hito to iwaresou)
でももっと哀しい瞬間に... (Demo motto kanashii shunkan ni)
涙はとっておきたいの (namida wo totteokitai no)
Aa~ If I don't cry at the graduation ceremony, people might call me cold-hearted.
But even so, I want to save my tears for an even sadder moment.


***

Iku-chan performed this song Live in several occasions, such as SONGS OF TOKYO (April 2021) in a duet with Saito Yuki herself, and singing it solo in Hibiya Music Festival (May 2021).

Comments