Wakatsuki Yumi and Hayami Mokomichi - KonWAKE Drama Interview with TheTV (April 17th, 2021)

(original article: https://thetv.jp/news/detail/1028827/)


The drama titled "Kekkon Dekinai ni wa WAKE ga Aru" (There's a reason / excuse on why someone can't get married) starring Hayami Mokomichi (HM) for the main role starts in April 18th (every Sunday from 11:55 ~ 0:25 in ABC TV and others) is based on the popular comic which digital version reaches 23 million downloads. In the same drama, Hayami plays an elite section manager who's perfect but infatuated with a doll called 「Michuko」, while Wakatsuki Yumi (WY) plays a heroine who jumps into a strange whirlpool of love.

Website THE TELEVISION interviewed Hayami ーwho played an "ultra masochist" company director in another ABC TV drama titled "Kono Otoko wa Jinsei Saidai no Ayamachi Desu" (2020) which became really popular, that is now acting as , Tomizawa Mitsuo, a "section chief with peculiar habit"ー and Wakatsuki Yumiー who is acting as Goto Marikoー regarding their thoughts about the drama, the characters that they're acting as, their impression about each other, things that happened in the shooting location, and other things.

ーーWhat was in your mind after the casting has been decided?

HM : Actually, I happened to read the original comic before, but I was also happy to be able to work with the people from ABC TV again.

The character this time also has a peculiar of habit. Before I get into the shooting location, I'm always worried on "how should I portray the habit", so I was keep on reading the comic again and again. I understand the outlook of the original work, but the nuance when I tried to express it it in the drama might be different, so that I'm quite nervous.

On the first day, for whatever reason me and even the staffs got really stiff, but thanks to Wakatsuki-san, after entering the shooting location the weight on our shoulders somewhat got lifted. We had yet to the any shootings whatsoever yet somewhat managed to get along really well, so it was such a big help for me.

WY : I'm so happy when the casting has been decided. When I read the original work and I find out that Mariko is such a wonderful woman, I was so happy thinking that「I will portray such a wonderful of person」, so I was really excited to do the shooting.

ーーHow was your impression of each other's during the first encounter?

HM : We met for the first time during the costume fitting. However, I somewhat jokingly said「We will conduct the costume fitting over here!」(mimicking the staff). Saying this in front of her now is a bit embarrassing, but I kind of regret it (www)「I might have overdid it. I did something rude.」(talking to Wakatsuki directly).

WY : No no, it's okay! It made me happy.

HM : She's such a cool person, you know? Sorry. I wish I could turn back the time~(www).

WY : I had this image that Mokomichi-san is a quiet and cool person, but on the contrary ever since the our first time meeting each other, he get along with the staffs and liven things up. He's really friendly and humorous. I think he's a really nice person. The first encounter, not limited to this job, is always something nerve-wracking, so I was really happy that he could break the ice right away.

HM : By all means, you want you to see me while cooking, right? You'll see how my personality might be different. Well, but that part of you is kind of perverted too (www).
(Hayami Mokomichi is well known to be a good cook, and his cooking show is, OFC, popular among female viewers)

WY : I want to see it (www).

(IMBA, she's not even reaching his neck >_<)

ーーRegarding each of your role, what kind of character are they from your own perspective?

HM : Regarding the outlook, the character seems like "a high-spec, ideal boss", however on the inside I think he's such a lonely person. But he's lucky to meet Mariko and gradually grow better as a person. If we think about it that way, Mariko's presence is very important. The fact that Mariko herself becomes to like Michuko (the doll) as well is also kinda strange.

WY : Above all, I think Mariko is a very straight-forward, honest, and a nice person.  She's also inline with her thoughts on 「getting married before becoming a 30 years old」. Just with the goal of getting married in mind, she put a lot of efforts into it, suc as taking cooking lessons or learning how to sew. I think that's amazing.

Also, when she thinks she did something wrong, she apologizes directly without trying to cover herself up. When she's happy, she won't cover it and says thank you. I think a woman who can be straight-forward on anything like her is great. Being 29 years old, she is older than my actual age. Being able to see all the good things of a mature woman, I'm trying to play her character while keeping all those good things to myself.

ーーWhat did you do to get into the character?

HM : I believe there are a lot of fans of the original comic, so I'm trying my best not to dissapoint them and stay in character with the original. For example, I keep things like how the character should dress up as how it is drawn in the comic in my mind. I want to take each and every scene while cheerishing all those things. Also, I keep the thoughts that whatever it takes, 「I must love Michuko」, and gradually with every encounter「I will fall in love with Mariko」.

WY : I keep the thoughts that I will gradually become to like Michuko. We currently only took the scenes for the 1st and 2nd episodes, so at the moment her presence is like a rival, and I'm trying hard to picture her as an enemy. Along the way, even though I like Mitsuo, things won't go well if I'm not liking Michuko as well, so I will gradually try to put more love to her.

ーーJust like Mitsuo who treasures「Michuko」, is there something that you two treasure the most?

HM : I treasure the「bonds with other people」. New encounters as well, for sure. 

WY : It's not a "thing" like Michuko, but the thoughts of「(to be always) grateful」is something that I always treasure in mind. If there's something I might be proud about, I think it's my "Jinun" (some kind of luck factor related to name, and in Japanese people case, the number of strokes in their name). Even when I barely able to reach up for something, I feel that there's always someone there watching over (her efforts, I guess), and I realize it each and every day. So, I will always remind myself「to be grateful」and grow it even more.

ーーPlease tell me if there's any kind of habit that you yourself might think「Maybe this is a peculiar habit?」

HM : I wonder if that is something that I can actually figure it out by myself (www)?

WY : Is there something that make other people say 「that's unusual」to you?

HM : Hmm~...

WY : Probably, there are lots of things like that in me... It would be probably faster if we ask my manager (www).

WY's Manager : Everything about you is unusual, right...

WY : The fact that you think nothing is unusual with me is the worst thing ever (www).

HM's Manager : Mokomichi... When he's cooking, he somewhat treats the ingredients and tools like friends (www). He will casually spin the ingredients, and it becomes a behavior  that is ingrained to his cooking process, which I don't think is common.

HM : Well, that's a performance (www).

WY's Manager : Wakatsuki... Right now she's featured in fashion magazine, but actually she's still learning as well. She never wears something that women in their 20s think pretty and has no fashion sense at all. Somewhat, always looking plain.

WY : I guess that's about right! (www)

WY's Manager : Weirdly, she would do something like growing up shiitake mushrooms by herself. She would go to a dark place alone and spray waters over it.

HM : Ee, kawaii!

WY : Yatta~! (www)

HM : Somewhat I want to eat shiitake now.

ーーLastly, please give messages for the readers.

HM : This work has a lot of elements. There's the energetic things, relaxing things, as well as sad things, but I think the important element is (how it tells about) how people respect each other.

Each character has a lot of wonderful elements with them, so I hope you can give it a watch and see them in several perspectives and point of view. Also, I hope you can also like my beloved Michuko.

WY : All in all, it's a very peaceful (relaxing) drama. Of course, as a story there are things that will get you excited or anxious, but it's easy to go through the story and no need to think about hints in the story. I believe it's a drama that you can enjoy just by watching it. By all means, I hope you can watch it at your own comfort.


(see the original article for more pics)

Comments