Shujinkou (The Protagonist) - Kakehashi Sayaka's First Original Song for Ohatsuchan

「主人こ」(The Protagonist)


(I tried to translate it while keeping it sounds as poetic as possible in English, so it's not a word-per-word translation. I might have misunderstood some parts though. Even though the lyrics is quiet simple, it is still quiet poetic in its original Japanese version. For numbers in red, see the bottom of the page for explanations)

自分の殼の中で気づいたら大人になってた。
(Jibun no kara no naka de kidzuitara otona ni natteta)
Always hiding in my shell, to my surprise I've become an adult.

言われるがまま,言わなかったわがまま。
(Iwareru ga mama, iwanakatta wagamama)
Always doing things as I am told to, never said anything selfish.

袖を通したスーツはあまりにも普通で,
(Sode wo tooshita SUIT wa amari ni mo futtsu de)
Wearing a suit for the first time is too ordinary. (1)

小さい頃色鉛筆で描いた将来の夢に,僕は向かっているのかな?
(Chiisai koro iroenpitsu de egaita shourai no yume ni, boku wa mukatteiru no ka na?)
The dream of my future that I painted with colored pencils when I was young, am I heading towards it right now?

今やっていることは本当に,やりたいことなのかな?
(Ima yatteiru koto wa hontou ni yaritai koto nano ka na?)
Are things that I'm doing now actually the things that I really want to do?

Chorus: 

あの時のヒーロみたいに,ふんぎりをつけないで,
(Ano toki no HERO mitai ni, fungiri wo tsukenai de)
Just like the Hero back then, always being decisive.

周りは気にしないで,先延ばしにしないで,
(Mawari wa kinishinaide, sakinobashini shinaide)
Do not worry about what others would think, do not procrastinate.

あの時のヒーロみたいに,新しい傷もつくだろう。
(Ano toki no HERO mitai ni, atarashii kizu mo tsuku darou)
Just like the Hero back then, surely new wounds might open,

新しい世界も見えるだろう。
(Atarashii sekai mo mieru darou)
but surely a new world will open up to you.

はじめてを恐れないスニーカーを履いて,
(Hajimete wo osorenai SNEAKERS wo haite)
Get your guts up, do not be afraid of something new. (2)

空のリュックを背負って
(Kara no RYUKKU wo seotte)
carry that empty backpack,

トビラを開けよう!
(TOBIRA wo akeyou!)
and open the door!


Some (Not) Important Explanations :

1. The protagonist that Sayaka imagine for this song is a young male. I think "wearing a suit for the first time" can be interpreted like a young male wearing suits for taking job interview or going for office work for the first time, since suits is the most typical business fashion in Japan.

2. The literal translation is kind of like [Wear the "Sneakers of not be afraid of something new"], but I just couldn't find a proper idiom in English that means something similar >_<




Comments